DISCOVER YOUR NICHE

Have you ever been conflicted about who you are, or what you're meant to be doing?
It is an age-long belief that everyone is good at something.
We all were created to fulfill one purpose or the other.
For Archimedes of Syracuse, it was solving mathematical nightmares and inventing cool stuff, & for Bach, it was composing great music.
I had quite a struggle discovering what mine was (maybe I still am), but to overcome the incessant conflict that comes with not knowing, I came to terms with the fact that it must have to do with what keeps me up mostly at night, and what fills my mind the moment I'm awake.
I love capturing images, and it doesn't just end there. I love arranging them and nurturing them till I've given them the ultimate expression. But that's me. You've got to find out what your niche is and explore it. I still watch film-making tutorials every opportunity I get. I never get bored learning about this subject ever!!!

Over the years, I came up with a few characteristics that I believe  define a film-maker.

1. You see a potential plot in every occurrence around you.
2. When you watch TV, you're thinking camera angles, depth of field, audio quality, color grading, and "who on earth is this director?!!!"
3. When you'rε at an event, your eyes are darting between the  crane and the projector screen, and you flinch each time a shot seems "off".
4. You don't mind traveling miles on your own tab to shoot a great subject.
5.Each time you make a few extra bucks, you're thinking what lens or light to buy next.
6. You're always willing to do more than what you're paid for because for you, it's an expression of your art, & not just a job.
7. You spend hours everyday learning what you can from the pros.
8. When you log into your ebay or amazon account, your 1st search is for some camera or lens or accessory.
9. Your ebay/amazon watch folder and shopping basket is filled with film-making equipment.
10. When there is a natural/man-made disaster, the 1st thing that hits your mind is, "oh! why did I not pack my camera this time". (BE CAREFUL WITH THIS LAST ONE).

So, there it is. BUT, I'm not you, & neither are you me. It's up to you to find out what you're most likely to excel in.
I can assure you though, that the road to self-discovery is an interesting one. Have a safe trip.



1 comment: